Tuesday, September 8, 2009

That Makes Salad of Sense


After reading several blog posts on the benefits of the no-poo method I am going to try not to shampoo my hair for two weeks. I will also explore the inexpensive conditioning treatment called PUTTING VINEGAR ON YOUR HEAD.

You may remember that I tried this back in September 2007. I didn't stick with it, so this is my second attempt. I am older. More patient. Impervious to ridicule.

You are probably as creeped out by this as my husband, but tap into your inner-hippie for a moment. Besides the fact that ACV has great health benefits, most shampoos containe sulfates, chemicals that seep into your skin and strip the hair of its natural oils. After washing, you dry your hair out so much you have to condition it. But to remove the heavy silicones in the conditioner you have to use the harsh shampoo again. Vicious cycle. Then the government sends signals to your brain.

So I'm doing it to save money, to be eco-friendly, to stretch my (all natural but expensive) hair care products, and because I like to do weird things like this anyway. Remember when I spent an entire evening evaluating yogurts?

So does it work? Photos from the first attempt:

Just out of the shower. Love that shine!


Half-way dry. Getting a good shape and good curl definition.


Completely dry. Frizzier than I like it, but miraculously not a rats nest as I predicted. I added a few drops of Olive Oil for shine and control.


Directions:
1. massage scalp vigorously to loosen dirt. Rinse thoroughly with water.
2. mix 1T Apple Cider Vinegar with 12oz Water. Apply to ends and work through hair. Let it set for a couple minutes. Rinse thoroughly with water.

Curly-haired readers, learn more about taking care of your tresses. Here's another gal's trial with the no-poo method.

(The title of this post comes from comedian Joe Romby, Jr.'s reaction to my experiment.)

11 comments:

soce said...

Some of my friends don't use shampoo because they say it washes away all their natural oils and such that keep their hair nice.. leaving it all dried out and frizzy-- or something like that, i dunno--

Abbi Crutchfield said...

Just shoot me before I ever become a vegan. Shoot me with a tranquilizer and wake me up with the delicious aroma of steak.

Chris said...

It looks like a good product except for the half-way stage white worms take root and start growing out of your ears and start intertwining around your neck.

Abbi Crutchfield said...

LOL. That's me on the phone with my Sis. Bugs only happen after a few months, when your hair is all fermented and stuff. White people dreads!

Unknown said...

Would love to try this method, but not sure how it would work with my kinky curls compared to your lovely tresses....;)

Not to mention my curls major shrinkage...

Abbi Crutchfield said...

I've never seen your hair without braids. Send me a picture? You use Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, which elongates the curl by weighing it down. With this method, your natural curl pattern would be revealed. But isn't that glorious? And don't I sound like a yoga instructor right now?

Unknown said...

I will send you pic..it would be interesting with this method. Definitely a weekday project when hubby is at work ;)

Chris said...

@Karine,

So is that what goes on while I'm at work? I thought you were doing something normal like having an affair, not treating your hair like a Caesar Salad.

Abbi Crutchfield said...

People! People! Curly Comedy is meant to bring families together...not tear them apart. Now hug. Now toss with tongs. Now hug.

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

Thanks so much for the link!

It's worked out good so far. Best on short hair or hair that is as gorgeous and as curly as yours

On straight hair, the grease is easier to notice, but hair doesn't need to be squeaky clean...

Abbi Crutchfield said...

Thanks FB! You are an inspiration to us all.