Thursday, October 1, 2009

The No-Poo Chronicles: Epilogue

In an effort to save money, help the environment, and restore my hair's health, I tried not to use shampoo for two weeks. Was it possible? Yes!



I started the No-Poo Experiment before I actually began posting about it. It has now been twenty-five days of cleaning my hair without the use of shampoo, and conditioning and styling it without the use of commercial products. Regarding the herbal vinegar rinse I created 11 days into the experiment, I was supposed to shake it nightly for three weeks and wait to use it.



I jumped the gun and started using it just one week after having created it (strain the herbs and use 1T in 12 oz water). It smells like sweet pickle juice. The scent goes away once my hair dries, and the results are great. Once it's dry, I rake through a few drops of Coriander oil (by Keihl's), which gives my hair a fabulous scent. I still haven't figured out any way to combat the slight amount of frizz that appears at the crown.



I have gone to work, gone on vacation, and gone on auditions using this method. I still want to use my shampoo, but at least now I know I can use it MUCH more sparingly and still yield great results.



I'll probably only use the expensive styling products on humid days when I know I'll need help fighting frizz.

Day 1


Day 21


Photo credit: tipnut.com

No comments: