Tuesday, April 10, 2007

We the You People


The radio jock so shocking I’ve never heard of him, Don Imus, is in hot water because he referred to members of the Rutgers women’s basketball team as “nappy-headed hos”. He tried to plead his case on Al Sharpton’s radio show and dug the hole deeper when he said, “I can’t get anywhere with you people”. NO! Not You People! Even Michael Richards knows not to say You People.

I have never said You People in my life. Partly because it’s redundant, but also because I know it’s one of the dumbest ways to refer to a group you’re mad at. HO HUM Mr. Imus. Is that the best you can do?

Now if he had said You Blacks, well that would change things. I only like to be marginalized with other blacks during My History Month or Chocolate Night at my local Comedy Club. You Blow-hards would have been more accurate and funny, because political pundits need to be put in their place. You Maggots—that would have been dastardly macabre. You Wascally Wabbits—diluted but heartfelt. In short, You People is tired, racists. Get creative.

Let’s back it up to the first insult. Even white women can have nappy hair after a long, sweaty game. The real problem with the Rutgers comment is that he calls them hos. Did that ever come up on MISTER Sharpton’s show? Doubt it. All you Rutgers women’s b-ball fans, we need to unite and take a stand! Let’s quit putting women down, guys! What do you say? Guys?… Hey…where are all the guys?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice summary. I'm sending it far and wide...and thanks again for the link add. Besos.

Abbi Crutchfield said...

Besos y Lagrimas for this one. When are people going to be sensitive about Howard Stern? Exactly how far is HE allowed to go?

Matt Sears said...

Howard is more of an artful reflection of the populous. Sadly though, I don't think that his listeners pick up on the subtleties and he ends up feeding the machine.

These other guys though are too busy with their foot in their mouth to have their tongue in their cheek.

Abbi Crutchfield said...

All shock jocks are a thorn in my side.