Friday, May 25, 2007

Why I Don't Talk Politics

On January 23, 2002, I got to take part in a political talk show on MSNBC called "Alan Keyes is Making Sense". It was very exciting for me, as a sophomore in college. Not only was it my first time on national television, but it was also the first time I ever received public feedback for my opinions. Shout-out to CW in the Colorado Department of Corrections! It may have also been the pivotal moment I decided I have no idea what I am doing pursuing a career in politics. I gave stand-up a try eight months later and never looked back.

From the transcript:
KEYES: Aren't there certain crimes that just cry out for the death penalty?

CRUTCHFIELD: No, there are not. And the subject of evil, I think that evil, the basis of evil is hatred, and the basis of the capital punishment is also the vengeance and hatred itself. And the only thing we can combat that with is the abolishment of capital punishment, which would suggest forgiveness or love. And that is my main theme, I think, that I'll be talking about this evening.


This was the first thing out of my mouth. I was so nervous about sounding knowledgeable that I just babbled key words that had been floating around my head that day. I couldn't even put together a coherent sentence.

The brief segment was filled with pauses and confused looks from me and the other two panelists (also students). The Evil vs. Love debate may sound a little out there, but this was three months after 9/11 (when the Pentagon ruins burned two visible miles from my dorm room), and I was on a crusade for peace.

Looking back, however, I would have answered his question differently. There ARE certain crimes that call for the death penalty. Producing political talk shows for example.

Lessons I Learned:
Don't come to a talk show with a theme.
If you have a theme, don't announce that you have a theme.
Love and forgiveness are still important but are probably best taught through song or religious texts.
"The Vengeance and Hatred Itself" is not an acceptable description for a government policy, but would make a good band name.

No comments: