Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Network...BAD


photo by Gale Adler/ABC

Alternative title: I've got good news! ABC just saved a lot of money by switching to Geico!

Ever wish a commercial could last a whole season? Me neither. But this fall, instead of flipping past The George Lopez Show, you'll flip past the cavemen made famous for their anachronous scenarios and continual sarcasm. Fortunately, I had a lobotomy and like to be spoon-fed my comedy. Not only does this seem like an overly simple premise, I'm half-expecting one of the characters to knock over a lamp and say, "Did I do that?"

Lopez laments, "T.V. just became really, really white again." I don't know when it ever stopped. Between Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters, ABC explores the crap out of what it means to be white, rich and troubled. There is no stone unturned. But wait! How about adding the anomaly of time travel? Enter The Cavemen.

I don't know what kind of theme song it will have, but if it's not the sound of makeup artists rejoicing, I don't want it. As some feather-haired guy so wistfully put it, "It's a rare condition in this day and age to read any good news on the newspaper page." The only saving grace that I can see is the cast. It features both John Heard, the dad from Home Alone, and UCB Theater NY favorite Nick Kroll, a comedian I have featured in a past post. At least some struggling artist gets to eat this month.

Can writers put a fresh spin on an exhausted concept? Can good acting save a tired script? Can sarcastic cavemen be funny? Let's not give up hope...

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

I don't know, dude - the internet is a buzz over this show! People are planning to hate it, but we'll see. I hope for Nick's sake it's good! The clip on the network's website is mildly entertaining and the show seems to have potential. Some blogger thought the network was trying to use the cavemen to discuss race/class a la Planet of the Apes, but I dunno.

I do know that my weekly date night is watching Brothers and Sisters with my husband. But that's because we can't afford cable.

Abbi Crutchfield said...

I've heard that it's going to play on a lot of racial stereotypes, i.e. the cavemen are going to stand in for a lot of minorities. I see that working. Until a minority judges a caveman, and I get confused.

Long live Sally Field! She made Steel Magnolias AND Soap Dish, aka The Perfect Rental Weekend.

Anonymous said...

I can't stand to look at these characters on the commercials so I doubt I'll enjoy the 30 minute shows. Have you looked at this website http://www.cavemanscrib.com/...crafty but too much detail...someone has WAY too much time on their hands if they can click on all this crap and then keep clicking to "discover" the joke/laugh. Too tedious for me.

Abbi Crutchfield said...

Wow. I went through the whole house, and I have learned nothing. I want the Gecko the have a recurring role as the neighbor who hits on the cavemen. I can see a lot of recycled Will & Grace scripts in the near future.

Comedian Luke said...

Cavemen, Sasquatch, and Gorilla suits always make me laugh.

Abbi Crutchfield said...

I know, and that's why I love you. Conversely, "Fatz", the robot gorilla from Showbiz Pizza, gives me nightmares.