Saturday, August 9, 2008

Bernie Mac: Taken Way Too Soon



Bernie Mac passed away this morning due to complications from pneumonia, after years of suffering from sarcoidosis.

From Yahoo! News:

Mac worked his way to Hollywood success from an impoverished upbringing on Chicago's South Side. He began doing standup as a child, and his film career started with a small role as a club doorman in the Damon Wayans comedy "Mo' Money" in 1992. In 1996, he appeared in the Spike Lee drama "Get on the Bus."He was one of "The Original Kings of Comedy" in the 2000 documentary of that title that brought a new generation of black standup comedy stars to a wider audience.

This is a sad way to start the weekend. I know a lot of comedians who are influenced by Bernie Mac. If you want to remember how hilarious he was, re-watch Ocean's Eleven, TiVo the Bernie Mac Show, or better yet, watch one of the best Def Comedy Jam performances I've ever seen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIP Bernie. His sitcom has been one of the few to come out in the past decade that was actually funny.

Thanks for posting that clip. Not only was it funny, it has inspired me to hire a dj to follow me around so whenever I make a good point he can pump up some music.

Abbi Crutchfield said...

...Y'all don't understand. I ain't scared of you motha f*****s!

Anonymous said...

Isaac Hayes, Bernie Mac and almost Morgan Freeman. I don't want to accuse you of anything Abbi but


http://curlycomedy.blogspot.com/2008/08/untouchable.html

"I don't want to live in a world where I can't make fun of the recently deceased and successful, hard-working blacks."

Stop the madness!!!

Abbi Crutchfield said...

If I had the power to bring about world change, restaurants would be selling Jell-O Pudding Pops.

(waits)

Did it work, Chris??

Anonymous said...

I dunno. But if Cosby goes next I'm squealing on you.