Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Confidence


It's the eye of the lion, it's the cream of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge without tryin'
And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night
And he's watchin' us all in the eeeeeeye
...of the lion...


I got a last-minute invitation to Chicks & Giggles, which came right after another taping of Comedy Central Presents (not mine, Grandma).

Kirk Fox was great


and we were also treated to a special called My First Time featuring Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter (who is also the host),


Mike Birbiglia,


and Bonnie McFarlane.


Whenever I watch live shows I get pumped about telling my own material. I tell it in my head as if I'm performing on television (and the crowd in my head gives the same excessive applause breaks). However, when I got to Mo Pitkin's that night, I was thrown by the four old women sitting in the front row. Thank you for being a friend, but you might want to travel down the road and back again while I tell these jokes.

My material isn't blue but it isn't exactly crafted for the elderly. I started trying to think of ways to relate to them (they know they smell like moth balls, right??), but was reminded that senior citizens have already lived through everything I talk about on stage. With no time to psyche myself out, I went up with the material I am working on. It was fun, and I didn't even have to tell Rose to shut up.

What have we learned kids? When times are tough, plow right on through. And be delusional about your level of talent. And ignore the old people in front of you.

No comments: