Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Gaia and Synergy




Same person.

A tween asked me yesterday why children always put their sunglasses on upside down. I told her, "One, because Anne Geddes tells them to. Two, because they don't know any better." I used to confuse bagels and donuts because as a child I was not perceptive enough to tell the difference. Case in point, two cartoons I used to watch as a kid, Captain Planet and Jem, both had what I thought was the same character on it. They both had flowing purple hair, weird headbands, and they were both the voice of wisdom whenever the principal characters needed help.

As an adult I found out that the voice on Captain Planet belonged to Whoopi Goldberg, while Synergy was voiced by Marlene Aragon (an actor who also played characters on Transformers, and whose picture is impossible to find). It didn't help my memory to learn that Whoopi Goldberg, in addition to voicing a character named Gaia, later played a character named Guinan on Star Trek.

This is a little like the time I confused Veruka Salt and Fairuza Balk.

But it's not nearly as awkward as the time I confused two people at work.

And now for something truly, truly, truly outrageous.

8 comments:

soce said...

You know how much into fake twins I am!!! Here is my newest find.. I think I've actually seen this fine lady on the street a few times and confused her with someone else.. guess who!

Abbi Crutchfield said...

LOL, I have no bloomin' idea. But I love the term Fake Twins.

Okay, no offense to the fine lady, but here are my guesses:

Matty Goldberg?

Jonah Hill?

Julia Sweeney as Pat?

soce said...

Those are decent guesses. Here's who I confused her with:

Rob Cantrell

You know who he is, right? He's a standup comedian.

Abbi Crutchfield said...

Holy guacamole! Good find. I think I'll re-post it.

soce said...

Thanks! :-)

soce said...

BTW there was an actual cartoon crossover. Both Ducktails and Darkwing Duck featured Launchpad McQuack as the transportation / technology guy, errh that is to say, duck.

That had me confused for a bit. Why they couldn't just be two completely different shows that both happened to feature ducks. I guess Scrooge McDuck didn't really pay all that well.

Abbi Crutchfield said...

What if Baloo from Talespin got in a plane crash with Launchpad from Duck Tales? That would be a good way to end both series.

crutch said...

your ability to recall so many specific things from when you were a kid is amazing.