Friday, January 9, 2009

Those Weren't the Days

One of the best parts about living in New York is exposure to ethnic food from around the world. The other day I found a dollar on the ground. Several hours later, I found myself in Chinatown, walking by a stand that said, "Hong Kong Cakes, 15 pieces, 1 dollar"



Don't tell me there is nothing you can afford during these trying economic times! I felt like I was in one of those stories your 70-year old uncle tells--about fighting overseas and, during peaceful times, being able to eat sweets for pennies. The dough balls tasted like condensed crepes, all warm and spongy and with soft, cakey sweetness in every bite. Fifteen of these? All for me? Then I remembered that you get what you pay for.


After the sixth piecsh it shtarts to taste like nerf.

8 comments:

Stove said...

Actually it's still a win. That's good price for nerf.

Abbi Crutchfield said...

You're right. I just need a gun to shoot them.

Anonymous said...

Nevermind the nerf, your beard is really filling in!

Abbi Crutchfield said...

That "beard" you're referring to is a down-filled vinyl hood lined with the finest Himalayan cat fur. And the down is really chicken feathers.

The Critic said...

I haven't eaten nerf since I was a kid. Wait, that's not true. I haven't eaten nerf since last week. Actually, to be quite honest, I'm chewing on just a little nerf right now.

Chris Z. said...

Mmmm! 15 for a dallah nerf!

Abbi Crutchfield said...

LOL. I think I just found my wedding cake. We can "maverick blast" the pieces to each other across the reception hall.

soce said...

I can very much imagine that. I sometime enjoy street fair food, and it can be a bit intense at times---

That would certainly be a different way to feed each other the cake.